Household Preventive Measures to combat covid-19
Date Posted: 03/30/2020
In addition to WHO guidelines of Frequent cleaning of hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or washing with soap and water for 20 sec.
The following measures are recommended to stop the spread at the individual/family level:
Before Stepping out of the house:
- Only one person from a house should go out to purchase daily needs every time.
- He/she should use a dedicated dress that should be worn each time when going out.
- Use a cloth bag for shopping.
- Carry separate pouch for currency
- The person going out should cover hair with a scarf, wear a face mask and disposable gloves.
- Only online payments such as google pay, phone pay, Paytm to be made (No card swiping).
- Do not carry a mobile phone.
After Returning Home:
- Leave the footwear outside the house
- Drop the keys, coins in soap water/ disinfectant in a jar/bowl (use the same for all purposes without mixing with other currency in the house).
- Surface sterilize the mobile phone with a wet tissue.
- If money transaction is done, the currency notes brought back home should be sterilized by pressing with a hot iron.
- The dress and scarf should be washed by soaking in hot water followed by rinsing in detergent.
All the items bought from the market should be disinfected in the following manner:
|Sl. No||Item||Method of Disinfection|
|1||Groceries||Dry in the sunlight for 30min and transfer to clean container|
|2||Vegetables||Wash in clean water and dry in mild sunlight for 15 min (refrigerate)|
|3||Milk packets||Wash with disinfectant|
|4||Bread packet||Wash with disinfectant|
|5||Packed food (chips etc.)||Cut open and transfer immediately into airtight containers without touching|
|6||Fruits||Soak in saltwater 10-15 min|
- Interiors: Spray the inside of the fridge with a solution of vinegar and water and let it soak.
- Shelves and drawers: Wash with warm soapy water and dry.
- Fomites: Doorknobs, bolts, keys etc should be sterilized by wiping with wet tissues.
- Lift buttons: Use newspaper pieces to press and discard after each use.
- Eat freshly cooked food and do not eat cooked refrigerated food.